2020 Best Online Bachelor's in Web Development Degrees
Students looking to complete a degree in web development should be sure to enroll in an accredited online college or university. Accreditation is an important factor when choosing a school because it ensures that the program meets national standards.
2020 Best Online Colleges Offering Bachelor's in Web Development Degrees
With low tuition rates and high average alumni salaries, the following 13 schools offer the best online bachelor's in web development degrees. Graduates of the #1-ranked school, Arizona State University, reported a median salary of $85,832. Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, ranked #2 on the list, costs $9,637 annually for an online BS in Information Systems Technologies - Web and Mobile App Development, with alumni reportedly earning median salaries of $76,330.
2020 Online Colleges Offering Web Development Degrees - Ranking Details
Online Web Development Degree Overview & Career Information
An online associate degree in web development is often sufficient to help graduates find entry-level employment in fields such as technology, education, government, business, and more. Students who graduate with associate degrees in this field typically move on to pursue a bachelor's degree after some years of experience.
A bachelor’s degree in web development allows for more advanced job placements in large tech companies, businesses, and other institutions. Specializations in web design and software development are typically offered in conjunction with web development programs for better employability.
A master’s degree requires students to have a bachelor's degree with some years of professional experience before admission. Students will be exposed to other areas of web development and internet engineering to give them a wider set of skills to fulfill more advanced roles.
An online certificate program in web development is ideal for professionals with years of experience or graduates of a related field looking to breach into web development. These programs are made to give a student specialized knowledge in a specific area within the field of web development such as web design, client-side scripting, and more.
Online Bachelor's Degrees in Web Development
An online bachelor's degree in web development equips a student with the well-rounded knowledge and a developed skill set necessary to start a successful career in various fields such as technology, education, web design, media, and more.
A student will be required to complete an average of 120 course credits for this degree level. A high school transcript or GED is required for enrolling in this degree level. A letter of recommendation may also be required by some institutions. Students with an associate's degree in a similar field have the option of having their transcripts assessed for transferable credits. This degree level is typically offered in online community colleges, technical schools, and universities.
Students pursuing online bachelor’s degrees should expect to develop strong problem-solving skills in a programming language, understand database systems, and integrate applications, technology, and devices for websites. On top of general education courses, students will gain hands-on experience in client-side languages, database systems, and server-side scripting. Optional elective classes also include web and mobile user experience, mobile application design and development, digital commerce, and more. Some online bachelor's degree programs on web development incorporate web design, software development, and other related specializations in their programs for better employability upon graduation.
Web development is a technical field that holds high professional standards. When selecting the best program, it is important to choose an online institution that is accredited and recognized by a regional accrediting body. This ensures that the program and curriculum meet national standards and will help equip students with the right tools and knowledge for a successful career in their chosen field. Choosing to study at an institution with regional accreditation also can help transfer credits easier for those who wish to pursue a higher level of education in the future. Accrediting agencies should always be recognized by the US Department of Education. While it does not provide accreditation for educational institutions and/or programs, the US Department of Education oversees the accreditation system by reviewing all of the federally-recognized agencies providing accreditation. For more information, please consult our comprehensive accreditation hub.
Web development is becoming an increasingly popular degree choice for students due to its excellent career prospects and high demand. Web developers are in high demand in many industries including business, healthcare, government, education, entertainment, and more. Demands for developers trained in accredited institutions are expected to grow as more and more companies are putting importance in building their online presence in the digital age. Graduates of web development can find themselves working jobs in a wide variety of fields and interacting with different clients. A web developer will gain experience in almost every stage of website creation; from conceptualization, execution, until maintenance. Most web developers will find themselves providing consultation on user experience and website functions.
Some web developers will oversee and take care of every aspect of a website’s construction. These are often called full stack developers. However, others will specialize in certain aspects of web development. Such specializations include:
- Back-end web developers: Back-end web developers are in charge of managing and maintaining the technical construction of the server, application, and database of a website. Their work builds the framework that ensures the site to function as expected.
- Front-end web developers: Front-end web developers create and manage a website’s user-facing code. Using tools such as HTML, CSS, and web frameworks, they work closely with web designers to translate the designs from mock-ups and wireframes to something users can interact with.
- Webmasters: Webmasters will maintain and update websites to ensure that they are operating correctly, testing for broken links and keeping content relevant.
- Aspen University. Accessed August 24, 2017. http://www.aspen.edu/degrees/masters-degree/master-of-science-in-information-systems-web-development.
- Capella University. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/bachelors-system-development-web-application/.
- Captiol Technology University. Accessed August 24, 2017. http://www.capitol-college.edu/academics/graduate-academics/internet-engineering-ms.
- Duquesne University. Accessed August 24, 2017. http://www.duq.edu/academics/schools/liberal-arts/academic-programs/duquesne-media-department/certificate-programs/online-web-design-and-development-certificate.
- Champlain College Online. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://www.champlain.edu/online/bachelors-degrees/bs-web-design-and-development-degree/courses.
- Entrepreneur. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/241644.
- Fort Hays State University. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://www.fhsu.edu/informatics/webdev/e-commerce-cert/.
- Kipplinger. Accessed August 24, 2017. http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/business/T012-S001-best-jobs-for-the-future-2017/index.html.
- Life Hacker. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://lifehacker.com/career-spotlight-what-i-do-as-a-front-end-web-develope-1691746717.
- Lifewire. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-web-application-3486637.
- MAXCDN. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://www.maxcdn.com/one/visual-glossary/web-application/.
- Microsoft Virtual Academy. Accessed August 24, 2017. https://mva.microsoft.com/.
- Rasmussen College. Accessed August 24, 2017. http://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/technology/web-programming/.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Accessed August 24, 2017. http://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/bachelors/bs-in-information-technologies/web-design-and-development.