2020 Accredited Online Special Education Degrees
Online special education programs are available at the associate, bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and certificate levels. Teachers who earn degrees or certifications in special education will work with students with physical or mental disabilities or other types of learning differences. Every state has different requirements for teacher licensing, so it is important for students to find out what those requirements are to make sure that their educational program is meeting state standards. We also highlight the best online colleges offering master's degrees in special education, ranked based on tuition rates and alumni salaries provided by PayScale.
Prospective students of online special education degrees should make sure that the school they are looking to attend is regionally and programmatically accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Accreditation through this body ensures that the education students will receive has been held to standards that assure quality and supports continuous improvement to strengthen P-12 student learning.
Most Popular Accredited Online Schools for Special Education Degrees
|Rank||School||Annual Tuition||Recommend Rate|
|# 1||University of Arizona||$11,800||100% (2 reviews)|
|# 2||University of Florida||$28,659||60% (5 reviews)|
|# 3||University of South Florida Online||$17,324||67% (3 reviews)|
|# 4||Texas A&M University-College Station||$37,495||67% (3 reviews)|
|# 5||University of Virginia||$49,032||Add Review|
|# 6||Georgia State University||$23,971||0% (1 review)|
|# 7||Texas Tech University||$19,040||0% (3 reviews)|
|# 8||Northeastern University||$51,522||100% (3 reviews)|
|# 9||Arizona State University||$23,482||72% (99 reviews)|
|# 10||University of Kansas||$27,358||100% (1 review)|
|# 11||Johns Hopkins University||$53,740||Add Review|
|# 12||Lamar University||$18,333||50% (14 reviews)|
|# 13||University of Wisconsin-Platteville||$15,646||Add Review|
|# 14||Eastern New Mexico University-Main Campus||$8,247||100% (4 reviews)|
|# 15||University of Idaho||$25,500||100% (2 reviews)|
|# 16||Western Kentucky University||$26,280||100% (1 review)|
|# 17||Columbia University in the City of New York||$59,430||Add Review|
|# 18||University of Central Florida||$22,467||88% (8 reviews)|
|# 19||Drexel University||$53,244||67% (6 reviews)|
|# 20||University of Alabama at Birmingham||$19,704||100% (1 review)|
|# 21||Texas Woman's University||$17,756||100% (2 reviews)|
|# 22||Indiana Wesleyan University Online||$9,816||41% (27 reviews)|
|# 23||University of Alabama||$29,230||67% (3 reviews)|
|# 24||Auburn University||$30,524||100% (2 reviews)|
|# 25||University of Colorado Denver||$25,771||100% (2 reviews)|
Online Special Education Degree Overview & Career Information
A bachelor's degree is the minimum amount of education required to become a special education teacher. Although associate degrees typically are not offered in this specific field of education, there are programs in related subjects, such as early childhood education, that can prepare individuals for future study at the undergraduate level or for certain entry-level jobs. A student graduating from a special education teacher-preparation program with a bachelor's degree is eligible to be licensed, while individuals who have a bachelor's degree that is not intended for licensure preparation, or a degree in a field other than special education, may need to undergo additional training as outlined by their state. Master's degree programs come in a variety of formats. Some are geared toward individuals with no prior teaching experience who want to make a career change, while others are for licensed teachers who wish to add to their skill set so that they are better suited to teach students with special needs. Doctoral programs are available to those who want to work in research, top leadership roles or teaching at the university level. Graduate certificate programs are also an option for teachers who want to gain skills in the area of special education but who do not want to commit to a full master's degree program.
Online Associate Degrees in Special Education
There are a few online associate degree programs specifically in the special education field, but it is more common to find programs at this level in a general discipline such as early childhood education. This type of degree can prepare individuals to work in certain entry-level jobs in the childcare field, such as working in a daycare or as a teacher's aide. It can also provide a starting point from which to move on to more advanced study at the bachelor's level. Classes that students might take while earning their associate degree cover subjects such as early childhood education, child development, linguistically and culturally diverse learners, advocating for children with special needs, and how to create an inclusive classroom. An online associate degree program can be found at community colleges and four-year schools offering online education. Students will spend approximately two years on their studies and will complete as many as 67 semester hours of work. In order to be admitted, an applicant will need to have a high school diploma or GED.
Online Bachelor's Degrees in Special Education
A bachelor's degree is typically the minimum amount of education required to become a licensed special education teacher. This type of program can be found at colleges and universities and usually takes four years to complete. Example courses that students will take include Special Education Assessment, Literacy Facilitation for All Learners, Foundations of Teaching and Learning, and Lifespan Development. There is also a required student teaching component. Those who are looking to become a certified teacher following the completion of a bachelor's degree should check to make sure that the degree they enroll in meets their state's licensure requirements, and that the program itself is designed to lead to teacher certification. Not all bachelor's degree programs in special education are intended to lead to certification, as some are more geared toward individuals who are planning on pursuing graduate-level work.
In addition to working as a public school teacher, a bachelor's program in special education will prepare an individual to work as a paraprofessional or teacher's aide in the private school system, or as a tutor to children with special needs. In order to be admitted to a program, applicants will need to have a high school diploma or GED. Other common requirements include a personal statement and SAT or ACT test scores.
Online Master's Degrees in Special Education
There are many universities that offer online master's programs in special education. There are programs available for those who have no prior teaching experience and who wish to become licensed special education teachers, as well as for teachers who work in another area and want to make a career change by moving into teaching children with special needs. Programs at this level take approximately two years to complete. To learn more about online master's programs in special education, see our master's overview which includes a list of the best programs.
Online Doctoral Degrees in Special Education
Professionals working in the field of special education who want to advance their education through earning a PhD or doctoral degree can find online options through several universities. A doctoral-level program is an appropriate choice for someone hoping to work in top leadership positions within the field, such as director of a special education program. It is also appropriate for those who want to develop and implement educational policies, as well as for those who want to conduct their own research or teach the next generation of educators at the university level.
A doctoral program in special education will be made up of traditional coursework as well as research and a dissertation. Classes that a student might take include History of Special Education, International Special Education, Special Education Administration, and Special Education Law and Ethics for Leaders. In order to be admitted to this level of program applicants will need to have a master's degree and teaching experience. Other typical requirements include a resume, one or more writing samples, and GRE test scores. The length of time it takes to complete a doctorate will vary depending on the program and how long a student spends on their dissertation. Some programs may take as many as seven years to complete.
Online Certificates in Special Education
Online certificate programs in special education are available at the graduate level, which means that an applicant will need to have a bachelor's degree in order to be admitted. Another common admission requirement is a teaching license, as this type of program is typically geared toward teachers who are already licensed and want to add to their skill set to better serve students with special needs. Students enrolled in a certificate program will take classes in areas such as teaching students with autism spectrum disorder, diagnostic assessment and progress monitoring, and current issues in special education. Many certificate programs will also require student teaching. A certificate in special education can usually be completed in about a year. Once the certificate has been earned, licensed teachers can continue on in their careers with a better understanding of how to teach students with special needs.
One factor that individuals should keep in mind when deciding on an educational program is whether or not that program is regionally and programmatically accredited. When a school is regionally accredited, it means that an independent organization has evaluated that school as a whole and determined that it meets certain educational standards. Regional accreditation is important because credits transfer more easily between regionally accredited institutions. Furthermore, federal financial aid is not available to students enrolled in non-accredited schools.
Programmatic accreditation is given out by independent organizations that specialize in evaluating programs in specific subjects. For example, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) was the main accrediting body for teaching programs until it merged with the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) to form the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Education programs that have received CAEP accreditation are considered by the accrediting body to be quality programs that prepare students for their future teaching careers. Aspiring special education teachers should look for a training program that has this type of accreditation because that will provide them with the assurance that they are learning the most up-to-date skills and that they are receiving a rigorous training that will turn them into quality educators.
Special Education Teacher Requirements
In order to become a licensed special education teacher, an individual will need to earn a bachelor's degree at minimum. However, the bachelor's degree does not have to be specifically in special education. Elementary education is another degree that is common for special education teachers to earn. They may then specialize or minor in special education. It is also possible to become a special education teacher with a bachelor's degree in an unrelated subject, though additional training will be required, and these specific requirements will depend on the state in which the individual intends to teach.
Beyond a bachelor's degree, the requirements needed to become a special education teacher will vary from state to state. Typically, there is some type of examination that aspiring teachers must pass. Some states may require teachers to go on to earn a master's degree after they achieve their initial certification. Obtaining licensure also generally requires completing observed student teaching, which is a typical component of teacher training at all levels.
- CAEP Mission and Goals. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://caepnet.org/about/vision-mission-goals.
- Application Process - Doctor of Education (Ed.D). Regent University. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.regent.edu/acad/schedu/graduate-programs/doctoral/apply-edd.cfm.
- Bachelor of Arts Special Education (K-12) - Leads to Teacher Licensure. Western Governors University. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.wgu.edu/education/teacher_certification_special_education_bachelor_degree#.
- Bachelor of Science Special Education Interdisciplinary Studies. Liberty University Online. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.liberty.edu/online/bachelors/special-education/.
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) – Special Education. Regent University. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.regent.edu/acad/schedu/doctoral-degree-special-education/?utm_expid=40701702-34.V2xTgtMaQxW1fv3cgFp1xA.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education - Special Education Leadership Specialization. Capella University. Accessed March 8, 2018. https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/phd-special-education-leadership/.
- Early Childhood Education. Ashford University. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.ashford.edu/degrees/online/aa-early-childhood-education.htm.
- Early Childhood Education Associate's Degree—Special Needs Specialization. Rasmussen College. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/education/special-needs/associates/.
- Graduate Certificate in Special Education. Walden University. Accessed March 8, 2018. https://www.waldenu.edu/certificates/special-education.
- Master of Science in Education - Special Education Teaching Specialization. Capella University. Accessed March 8, 2018. https://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/masters-special-education-teaching/.
- Master of Science Special Education (K-12). Western Governors University. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.wgu.edu/education/master_science_special_education.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Special Education Teachers. Bureau of Labor Statistics of the United States of America. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm#tab-4.
- Online Master of Science in Education in Special Education Curriculum. Purdue University Online. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://online.purdue.edu/sped/masters-special-education/courses?cmgfrm=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F.
- Online Master of Science in Education in Special Education Curriculum Admissions Requirements. Purdue University Online. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://online.purdue.edu/sped/masters-special-education/admissions-requirements?cmgfrm=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F.
- Online Special Education Certification. Saint Joseph's University. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://online.sju.edu/programs/special-education-certification.asp.
- Special Education BA. Southern New Hampshire University. Accessed March 8, 2018. http://www.snhu.edu/campus-majors/undergraduate/ba-special-education.
- Special Education Certification Program. Drexel University. Accessed March 8, 2018. https://online.drexel.edu/online-degrees/education-degrees/cert-sped/index.aspx.