2020 Best Online Master's in Chemical Engineering Degrees
Ranked based on affordability and earning potential, these 11 schools offer the best online master's programs in chemical engineering. A degree from the University of Virginia has an impressive return on investment, with an annual tuition of $8,115 and alumni reporting a mid-career salary of $144,600. Ranked #2, Lehigh University has the highest reported alumni salary on the list, at $147,000. Tuition for Lehigh's Master of Engineering in Chemical Energy Engineering is $24,000.
2020 Online Colleges Offering Chemical Engineering Degrees - Ranking Details
Overview of an Online Master's in Chemical Engineering
Individuals who wish to advance into leadership and management roles within the field of chemical engineering may want to pursue an online master's degree. An online master's degree in chemical engineering typically takes two to three years to complete and consists of 30 semester credit hours. Classes that students may take during these online programs cover topics such as chemical engineering thermodynamics, transport processes, polymer blends and composites, and air pollution.
To be admitted to one of these online programs, an applicant will usually need to hold a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field, though some schools will consider applicants from different educational backgrounds. Some schools require that a prospective student's bachelor's degree was earned from an ABET-accredited school. Applicants also need to submit an admissions essay that goes over their educational and professional goals. Other requirements may include an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher and test scores from a graduate entrance exam like the GRE.
An online master's degree in chemical engineering may help to prepare graduates for advanced positions in a variety of industries, such as petrochemical processing, materials manufacturing, energy distribution, microelectronics, and biotechnology.
- Accreditation. ABET. Accessed September 17, 2016. https://www.abet.org/accreditation.
- Admissions Requirements. Kansas State University Global Campus. Accessed September 16, 2016. http://global.k-state.edu/engineering/chemical/admissions/.
- Chemical Engineering (Master's). Lehigh University. Accessed September 16, 2016. https://distance.lehigh.edu/programs/masters-degree-programs/chemical-engineering-masters.
- Chemical Engineering Master of Science Degree. Kansas State University Global Campus. Accessed September 16, 2016. http://global.k-state.edu/engineering/chemical/.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Chemical Engineers. Bureau of Labor Statistics of the United States Department of Labor. Accessed September 16, 2016. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm#tab-1.
- Online Chemical Engineering Degree. University of North Dakota. Accessed September 16, 2016. http://und.edu/academics/extended-learning/online-distance/degrees/chemical-engineering/.